Monday, October 3, 2011

A Praying Life

So I'm reading through "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller for the second time and LOVING it. This is a book that makes you want to PRAY. I'll read through one chapter and want to stop and PRAY. How great is that? So pick it up if you want to improve your prayer life (and feel like you're actually doing something, even though God's doing the work!). What I'm loving most is the section on prayer cards. As leery as I am about making a mechanical system of prayer, I realize I NEED a system or I won't pray. It just won't happen. Through his encouragement of prayer cards, a system is created that makes praying easy and achievable. I write a person's name on the card, include a verse of Scripture that I feel like applies to that person's needs, add a few key words to help remind me what to pray, and voila, I have a prayer card for that person that I can stick in my car and pray through when I'm sitting at a stoplight or in traffic. More than anything...this book reminds me of the power of prayer and the utter dependence we must have on God throughout our life. It reminds me that I have to release control to the Lord and seek Him for answers, whether they be positive or negative responses to my prayers. It reminds me that He is in control, I am not, and He knows best. It reminds me that He cares about the details of my life and wants me to present "everything in prayer and petition" and "never cease praying." Pick up "A Praying Life" if you haven't and start creating those prayer cards...there is such power in prayer! And it SO good for my soul to not have to try to carry the burden myself, but present it to the Lord and know that He hears me. Now get to praying! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment