Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Demons and Pigs

I've been reading through the book of Mark lately (or I should say listening...has anyone else figured out the awesome Bible app? You can choose a translation that has the audio option and it will play the Bible outloud for you! As a mom of 2 little ones who doesn't always have time to read Scripture everyday...yes, I'm guilty...I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to play the Bible outloud as I cook, shower, get dressed, feed my kiddos, or drive around with them in the car. Try the Bible app (You version) if you haven't yet. Great way to get some Scripture in during a busy day!) Anyways...I digress...this passage from Mark 5 stood out to me today: The demons begged him, "Send us to the pigs so we can live in them." Jesus gave the order. But it was even worse for the pigs than for the man. Crazed, they stampeded over a cliff into the sea and drowned. They came up to Jesus and saw the madman sitting there wearing decent clothes and making sense, no longer a walking madhouse of a man. Those who had seen it told the others what had happened to the demon-possessed man and the pigs. At first they were in awe-and then they were upset, upset over the drowned pigs. They demanded that Jesus leave and not come back. (Mark 5:12, 13, 15-17 MSG) After reading that, I am reminded of the power, ugliness and reality of evil. Satan's ultimate desire is to steal, kill and destroy. When the demons were released, they KILLED the pigs. That is what Satan is aiming for. Our ultimate death and destruction. Ugh. It's easy to forget that evil exists in my daily life. I say this not to make myself fearful, but to be alert, to stand guard, to "put on the armor of God." Evil is real. Satan is real. He desires that we worship ANYTHING but God. Ourselves. Our children. Material things. Success. Sex. Food. Wine. Friends. One of my favorite quotes is "when a good thing becomes a God thing, it is a bad thing." Lord Jesus, open my eyes to the evil around me. I pray for Your protection over my family, my marriage, my friendships, and my own heart. Thank You, Jesus, that You are light and with You there is no darkness. I pray that I and my family would walk in the light, not in the darkness. And as a side note...did you notice how the people who saw Jesus perform this miracle were temporarily in awe, but then upset over the drowned pigs? Even in that case, we can see how their heart was more attached to their business - money-making pigs, than knowing Jesus as Lord of their life. Let my priorities be correctly aligned according to Your will, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment